What is Node Red? –Node red is a flow based tool and IOT Dashboard developed by IBM and written in Node.js.It is an Open Source project
Node red lets you easily create program flows by joining together black box functions (nodes) using a web interface.
Node-Red Basic Course
To get you started I’ve created a basic course designed for complete beginners. The course introduces users to the node-red admin interface and basic flows and consists of a collection of tutorials and videos.
- How to Install and Start Node-Red
- How to use the Admin Interface, nodes and flow basics.
- Understanding the Message object
- How to create a Basic Dashboard
- How to Copy Nodes and Flows in Node-Red
The Node-Red Command Console
This is the command console used to start node-red.
It displays useful information such as the admin port, current flow directory and also output from the node.log function used in node functions.
By default node-red installs completely opan and you can access the admin interface and create and deploy flows without having to login.
However you can secure node red by requiring username/password authentication and also SSL.
Node Red Demo Videos
Node-Red and MQTT
Receive JSON Data Over MQTT with Node-Red
Summary Of Terms
Note: These are the terms and meanings used in this tutorial.
Workspace – Contains all of your flows
Flow – A collection of nodes and wires
Flow Canvas – The Flow Edit screen
Other Node-Red Tutorials
- Node-Red Setup and Admin Notes
- Configuring the MQTT Publish Node in Node-Red
- Storing Data in Node-Red Variables